Advanced Actors’ Showcase
COVID Safety Guideline: Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat and all of your favorite Dr. Seuss characters spring to life onstage in this fantastical musical extravaganza.
Seussical JR tells the story of Horton the Elephant, who discovers a speck of dust containing tiny people called the Whos. Horton must protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, and he must also guard an abandoned egg that’s been left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family and community emerge triumphant!
Our showcase program gives student actors the opportunity to receive top-level training as they work in an ensemble with their peers towards a final performance. The rehearsal process allows students to work with professional directors, actors, and choreographers. This is an intensive program, and one that provides actors with pride of ownership as they develop skills as performers and develop confidence in their off-stage lives.
All students registered for this program will be cast in the show. Solos, as well as ensemble singing opportunities, are available. More information and instructions will be emailed to registrants before the start of the program.
Students are expected to attend all rehearsals and all performances for their assigned cast.
Semester: Fall 2022
Dates: Saturdays, September 10–November 19, 2022 (No rehearsal on November 26)
Time: 1:00–4:30 PM
Location: Expectation Church, 11924 Braddock Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
Date: Sunday, December 4 AND Saturday, December 10 AND Sunday, December 11
Time: 7:30 PM
Location: TheaterSpace, Mason Fairfax Campus
- Students should bring a hearty snack for their snack break. Please, do not bring any nut products.
- There will be an additional evening rehearsal in the performance space the week of November 28-December 2, day/time to be announced.
- Cost includes all rehearsals and performances, and a show T-shirt
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. This policy is subject to change, and we will keep you apprised of additional updates. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Registration opens on Tuesday, Jul 26, 2022.
“AFYP Member” Only Registration: 5:30-7:30 PM
How to become an “AFYP Member”
General Public Registration opens at 8:00 PM
If the program you would like to enroll in is full, please join our waitlist and our staff will be in touch with you with updates by email. Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- A $10 late registration fee will apply starting the Friday prior to the start of the program
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.