Foundations of Drawing: Faces & Figures
COVID Safety Guidelines: Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
In this beginner drawing studio class, participants will develop their use of the elements of art through practice with the human figure. The first half of the course will be focused on the face. The second half will be full figure drawing. Any live models used in class will be fully clothed. We will experiment with different materials for mark making and will explore several drawing techniques, including gesture and shading with values. Each artist is encouraged to work with subjects of their choice and celebrate their own unique drawing style.
This class is open to very beginners and students with experience who want to continue their studies and increase their skills.
Dates: Saturdays 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
February 25 – April 29, 2023 (8 weeks)
Skip Dates: April 1 & 8, 2023
Supplies: Students bring their own supplies to class. See supply list here.
Location: Art & Design Building, George Mason University in Fairfax, VA
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Art Educator in Fairfax County, VA
Kate Parsons is the studio art teacher for MCAA’s Drawing for Adults course. Ms. Parsons is a Fairfax County art teacher with 18 years of classroom experience. She has earned a Bachelor of Science in Art Education from Radford University and holds a teaching certificate in Art K-12.
Ms. Parsons enjoys working with a range of students, from children to teens and adults throughout the year! She has been working for MCAA since 2020. In the Summers, Ms. Parsons continues to teach visual art classes with the Institute for the Arts, where she has been working since 2012. Her classes range from Foundational Drawing to Fused Glass, Jewelry & Metals, and Fiber Arts.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- A $10 late registration fee will apply starting the Friday prior to the start of the program
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.