Adult Ukulele Level 1
Join our Ukulele class for Adults and learn to play this fun, accessible instrument. No prior musical experience is necessary, just the desire to brighten up your week! This class introduces the fundamentals of playing chords, melodies, and singing along through folk songs and contemporary hits.
Alumni are welcome to repeat the class. New music and materials will be presented each semester.
Why Learn the Ukulele?
- They’re easy to hold and travel friendly.
- Instruments can be pricey; ukuleles are a relatively inexpensive instrument.
- Ukulele is a good starting point to other instruments, such as guitar, bass, etc.
Dates: Wednesdays, 6:45 – 7:45 pm
February 15 – May 3, 2023 (10 weeks)
Skip Date: April 5 & 12, 2023
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
- Students need to bring their own ukulele. Lesson book provided.
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Academy Teaching Artist
Musical Styles: Classical, Pop, Jazz, Contemporary
Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, and Ukulele
Specialized Skill Levels: All Guitar/Ukulele Levels
Affiliations: National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
Glen McCarthy teaches class guitar, required of all music education majors and guitar pedagogy at George Mason University. He has been a guest lecturer, clinician and adjudicator at festivals, conferences and workshops both nationally and internationally. He is the past chair of the National Association for Music Education Council for Guitar Education, the past chair of the American String Teachers Association Guitar-in-the-Schools Committee and director and clinician for Teaching Guitar Workshops.
He teaches guitar classes and private lessons at the Mason Community Arts Academy. His curriculum is different for each student, “Guitar is so multi-faceted. What a student wants to learn is the cue I need to develop that student’s potential.” He also teaches class guitar at the Hylton Center to Veterans and first responders.
Mr. McCarthy retired from Fairfax County, Virginia after 30 years at Robinson Secondary School where he developed a multi-level guitar program. Robinson was the first recipient of the Guitar & Accessories Marketing Association’s award to recognize innovative guitar programming in the United States. Under his direction, the Robinson Guitar Ensemble performed in numerous venues and was consistently awarded superior ratings at adjudicated festivals.
In 2014 from over 32,000 nominees the Grammy Foundation recognized Glen as one of the top ten music educators in the United States. He continues to perform in numerous venues and genres.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Online registration closes 2 business days before the first class, however space may still be available. Please contact email@example.com for more information. A $10 late registration fee may apply.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.