Guitar Level 1
COVID Safety Guideline: Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
Our beginner adult guitar class is for anyone interested in playing guitar, whether a beginner or a somewhat experienced player that wants to further their skills. Using a pick, playing fingerstyle, playing and strumming chords, and using a repertoire of all musical styles makes this class fun for everyone.
This class can be repeated several times until the student (in consultation with the instructor) feels ready to move on to Level 2. If you are unsure about placement, please contact Glen McCarthy email@example.com.
Note: Students are required to bring own guitar (nylon strings preferred)
Time: 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Dates: September 19 – week of November 21 (10 weeks)
Tuition: $285 + $15 music fee
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
- You are expected to have your own acoustic guitar (nylon strings preferred)
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. This policy is subject to change, and we will keep you apprised of additional updates. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination Requirements: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Registration is closed.
Academy Teaching Artist
Read about Mr. McCarthy
He teaches guitar classes and private lessons at the Mason Community Arts Academy. His curriculum is different for each student, “Guitar is so multi-faceted. What a student wants to learn is the cue I need to develop that student’s potential.” He also teaches class guitar at the Hylton Center to Veterans and first responders.
Mr. McCarthy retired from Fairfax County, Virginia after 30 years at Robinson Secondary School where he developed a multi-level guitar program. Robinson was the first recipient of the Guitar & Accessories Marketing Association’s award to recognize innovative guitar programming in the United States. Under his direction, the Robinson Guitar Ensemble performed in numerous venues and was consistently awarded superior ratings at adjudicated festivals.
In 2014 from over 32,000 nominees the Grammy Foundation recognized Glen as one of the top ten music educators in the United States. He continues to perform in numerous venues and genres.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached. A full refund will be issued.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- A $10 late registration fee will apply starting the Friday prior to the start of the program
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Adult Piano Level 1
Tuesdays, 6:00–7:00 pm
September 20–November 22, 2022 (10 weeks)
Adult Ukulele Level 1
Wednesdays, 6:45–7:45 PM
September 21–October 19, 2022 (5 weeks)