Violin Beginnings Level 2
Ages 4-7 & 5-8
Violinists and their parents who have completed Violin Beginnings Level 1 will take the next steps on their musical journey! They will continue to build on the musical foundation started in Level 1 in musical and creative ways, through games focused on developing their listening, pitch, and rhythm skills. New pieces and repertoire will be taught at each class, drawn from Joanne Martin’s Magic Carpet for Violin and the Suzuki Violin School, Volume 1. Special listening time in each class will introduce our young violinists to modern day musical role models. This class will be taught using a combination of methods from the Suzuki, Rolland, and traditional methods.
IMPORTANT: A parent is required to attend and participate in the class with their child, and to practice daily with them at home. Students are required to rent/purchase their own child-size violin. See the Academy’s violin rental guidelines.
Lesson Books and Class Materials provided.
Ages: 4-7 & 5-8
Ages 4-7, 5:15 – 6:15 pm
Ages 5-8, 6:15 – 7:15 pm
February 8 – May 31, 2023 (15 weeks)
Skip dates: March 29 & April 5, 2023
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
Covid Safety Information
- Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- George Mason Offers Covid Vaccine Appointments
5:15 – 6:15 pm
6:15 – 7:15 pm
Academy Teaching Artist
Languages: English (fluent) | Spanish (functional)
Musical Styles: Western Classical
Specialized Skill Levels: All
Suzuki Method: Available, Books 1-10
Claire Allen is a Teaching Artist of Violin and Strings Coordinator. Since joining the string faculty at MCAA in 2013, she has created and collaborated on the development of the Violin Beginnings curriculum (which is based on the curriculum for beginning violinists taught at Peabody Preparatory), added several supplemental group classes for young violinists to the private lesson program, and has taught a private studio of violinists ages 4 to adult. She frequently creates themed lesson plans and loves creating games for her students.
Claire has completed extensive teacher training including Suzuki-certified training for Suzuki Books 1-5, Rebecca Henry’s pedagogy course at Peabody Conservatory, and Mimi Zweig’s Violin/Viola Teacher Retreat. She has been interviewed on the Suzuki podcasts, “Beyond the Music Lesson” and “Time to Practice” with Suzuki teacher and violinist Christine Goodner. In 2019, she was selected as the Outstanding String Teacher of the Year by the Virginia chapter of the American String Teachers Association. In 2022, she was a featured presenter at the ASTA National Conference on the topic “Creating A Diverse Repertoire for Elementary Level Violinists.”
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Level 2 builds upon the fundamentals covered in Level 1 in a supportive and encouraging group environment.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.