Adult Guitar Level 1
COVID Safety Guidelines: Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
This beginner adult guitar class is for anyone interested in playing guitar, whether new to the guitar or somewhat experienced, that wants to further their skills. Using a pick, playing fingerstyle, playing and strumming chords, and using a repertoire of all musical styles makes this class fun for everyone. All are welcome!
This class can be repeated several times until the student (in consultation with the instructor) feels ready to move on to Level 2. If you are unsure about placement, please contact Glen McCarthy at email@example.com.
Dates: Mondays, 6:30-7:30 pm
February 13 – April 24, 2023 (10 weeks)
Skip Date: April 3, 2023
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
- Students are required to bring own guitar (nylon strings preferred). Lesson book and class materials provided.
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Academy Teaching Artist
Musical Styles: Classical, Pop, Jazz, Contemporary
Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, and Ukulele
Specialized Skill Levels: All Guitar/Ukulele Levels
Affiliations: National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
Glen McCarthy teaches class guitar, required of all music education majors and guitar pedagogy at George Mason University. He has been a guest lecturer, clinician and adjudicator at festivals, conferences and workshops both nationally and internationally. He is the past chair of the National Association for Music Education Council for Guitar Education, the past chair of the American String Teachers Association Guitar-in-the-Schools Committee and director and clinician for Teaching Guitar Workshops.
He teaches guitar classes and private lessons at the Mason Community Arts Academy. His curriculum is different for each student, “Guitar is so multi-faceted. What a student wants to learn is the cue I need to develop that student’s potential.” He also teaches class guitar at the Hylton Center to Veterans and first responders.
Mr. McCarthy retired from Fairfax County, Virginia after 30 years at Robinson Secondary School where he developed a multi-level guitar program. Robinson was the first recipient of the Guitar & Accessories Marketing Association’s award to recognize innovative guitar programming in the United States. Under his direction, the Robinson Guitar Ensemble performed in numerous venues and was consistently awarded superior ratings at adjudicated festivals.
In 2014 from over 32,000 nominees the Grammy Foundation recognized Glen as one of the top ten music educators in the United States. He continues to perform in numerous venues and genres.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Online registration closes 2 business days before the first class, however space may still be available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. A $10 late registration fee may apply.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.