This fun, 8-week beginner guitar workshop and those with beginner experience will cover the basics of guitar playing. Guided by Mason Community Arts Academy Teaching Artists, students will learn guitar notation forms, how to play melodies and songs, and strum chords. This is a perfect class for students to learn to love the guitar and prepare for individual lessons or a school guitar program. New material will be introduced each semester and students are welcome to repeat the class.
Dates: Mondays, 5:00 – 5:45 pm
February 27 – April 24, 2023 (8 weeks)
Skip dates: April 3, 2023
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
Covid Safety Information
- Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- George Mason Offers Covid Vaccine Appointments
Academy Teaching Artist
Languages: English (fluent) | Spanish (functional)
Musical Styles: Classical Guitar, Rock, Blues
Specialized Skill Levels: All
Additional Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass
Adult Students Welcome!
For Brian Slaymaker the love of music came naturally. As a child of two professional musicians, he was exposed to music of all styles and genres. Brian studied piano with his mother, but his passion soon became guitar.
At the age of eleven Brian began studying guitar privately. His teachers were Jeff Ponder and Dr. Kevin Vigil. After extensive involvement performing in rock bands Brian chose to pursue an education in classical music. He holds a Bachelor of Music Degree magna cum laude in Classical Guitar Performance from George Mason University. Brian has performed in master classes with internationally known guitarists Pepe Romero, Carlos Barbosa-lima, Carlos Perez, and Roland Dyens. At GMU, Brian was a student of Professor Larry Snitzler. In addition to teaching Brian is an active performer in the DC Metro area.
Brian’s teaching range includes classical guitar, bass guitar, electric guitar, and steel string guitar. His lessons consist of: fundamentals of technique, music reading skills, music theory, and study of repertoire. Selections may be either those Brian introduces, or student requests. This strong foundation in fundamentals will enable the student to excel in any style their musical interests may lead. Individual creativity is always encouraged.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Online registration closes 2 business days before the first class, however space may still be available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. A $10 late registration fee may apply.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.