Spring 2021 Registration is Open!
YOUNG MUSICIANS PREP ONLINE
Explore the Musical World Through Singing, Dancing, and Drumming!
Young Musicians Prep is for children who have had exposure to music. This class focuses on music appreciation and develops the building blocks of rhythmic and melodic notations (the introduction of reading music). Students will learn to love music through folk songs, dance, rhythms, and music games, and will have the opportunity to learn how to really listen to, enjoy and express one’s feelings through music. In this class, students will begin to develop their musical ear not only through singing, but through the introduction of solfege, and pitched percussion instruments, such as xylophones. We encourage families to repeat the class as songs and activities rotate seasonally. This section is a prep course for our Young Musicians class.
Ages: 3 – 4
Time: 11:00 – 11:30 am EST
Dates: Saturdays, February 20 – March 27, 2021 (6 weeks)
Tuition: $90 (A $10 late fee will be added after Thursday, February 18)
Location: Zoom (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
Skills Learned in This Class:
- Solfege and hand signs
- Playing and reading rhythms
- Introduction of xylophone
- Development of active listening
- Hand independence and fine motor skills
- Communication skills with children their own age
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are the classes structured? Structure is important now more than ever. Each class will be formatted in the same way to create structure and so students know what to expect. The class will include interactive exercises such as “sharing time,” to work on communication, social skills and have kids interact with kids their own age. There will be a Dropbox for any materials or song tracks that families may need for each class.
- My child has a short attention span, what if they don’t stay still? There are many benefits of these classes being offered online: they are in your own home, they are flexible, and they are fast-paced. These classes are developed in a way to work on skills such as attention span, memory, and communication.
- Do the music classes require parents to have any musical skills? No, these classes are perfect for both parents and students that have little to no music experience! It is such a special experience to see parents learn along with their children.
- More Q&A >>
- A xylophone (glockenspiel) or access to a xylophone app such as: EasyXylo (free version).
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
4 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
9 spaces remaining
As a soloist, Ms. Warfield was winner of the Mason Wind Symphony Solo Competition, the NFA Performers Masterclass, and a prize winner in the Masters Players Soloist Competition and Louis Vyner Competition. She performed in the Julius Baker Masterclass and was featured three consecutive summers at the Annual New England Conservatory Summer Metropolitan Flute Festival Orchestra.
Ms. Warfield currently serves as Second Flute in the Manassas Symphony and Old Bridge Chamber Orchestras and Third Flute/Piccolo in the Symphony of Northern Virginia.
She received degrees from Millersville University and George Mason University, studying with Julianna Nickel, Dr. William Montgomery, Mr. Joel Behrens, Mrs. Lana Behrens, and Dr. Linda Kirkpatrick.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details including class schedule, supply list, web links, etc.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Music for Toddlers
The ABC’s of Music
Saturdays, 10:15–10:45 am EST
Mar. 6–Mar. 27, 2021
Saturdays, 12-12:45 pm EST
Feb. 20–Mar. 27, 2021