Violin Adventures Classes for Kids Ages 5-12
These supplemental classes are for young violinists ages 5-12 who are currently enrolled in weekly private violin lessons (at the Academy or elsewhere) and wish to add a group class experience to augment their learning.
Students will learn exercises to help them develop a healthy and sound violin technique; use scales, arpeggios, and chord progressions for ear-training; and play games to improve musicianship in an inspiring and motivational group setting. Listening activities will help students engage more fully with the world of violin and learn the history behind the great composers and performers of the instrument. Review pieces from the Suzuki method will be studied to polish and advance musical, technical and ensemble skills. Ensemble pieces from outside the Suzuki method will be studied and performed as an ensemble.
Semester: SPRING 2018
Dates: Saturdays, Jan 27 – Jun 9, 2018 10 classes (alternating Saturdays)
Time: DEPENDS ON GROUP – SEE BELOW
Ages: 5 – 12 years
Tuition: $285 + $10 Music fee
Location: Mason Fairfax Campus, Music Theater Building Room 1017
CHOOSING THE RIGHT GROUP
Each semester, the curriculum is designed to complement the private lessons. It is not a continuous curriculum with clearly defined levels. Students will be divided into groups based on their playing ability and progress in their private lessons. Students may be in the same group for multiple semesters or years, depending on their individual pace of learning. Group placements are made based on technical skill, repertoire learned, and maturity level – and in consultation with the private teacher. Groups are named for three of the greatest violin makers in history: Andrea Amati, Antonio Stradivari, and Bartolomeo Guiseppe Guarneri.
See guidelines below – please consult with the instructor Ms. Allen and/or your private teacher!
Time: 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Can play an A Major and D Major Scale
- Is studying pieces between Twinkle and Andantino in Suzuki Book 1
Time: 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Can play a 2-octave G Major Scale and use low 2’s confidently
- Is studying pieces between Etude in Suzuki Book 1 and Bourrée in Suzuki Book 2
- Can read music
Time: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Can play 2-octave G, A, and B-flat Major scales
- Is studying pieces between Two Grenadiers in Suzuki Book 2 and any piece in Suzuki Book 3
- Can read music confidently
- Is starting shifting and vibrato
For students who are more advanced than Suzuki Book 3 and who are sight-reading comfortably, we recommend the Chamber Music program.
Instructor: Claire Allen
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds and more for Fall/ Spring group classes.
- All students/parents will receive a Welcome Email at least 1 week before the class starts. Call the Academy with questions at 703-993-9889.
- You can park for free on Saturday ONLY in Lot A or K on campus (no parking pass required).