Spring 2021 registration is open!
VOCAL STUDIO SESSIONS ONLINE
Transform Your Vocal Performance!
This virtual vocal studio class focuses on technique building and is tailored towards students of all levels looking to continue their musical journey at home on Zoom. Each week students will be presented with a special topic on how to tackle elements of a piece poetically, rhythmically, melodically, and dynamically to apply to a song of their choice.
Our talented MCAA Instructor, Ashlyn Rock, will guide the class through exercises working towards breath support, mind/body awareness, and finding one’s unique tone. Throughout this 4-week course, students will observe each other and have the option to sing their own prepared song in a masterclass-like setting and receive individual coaching and feedback.
Time: 6:30 – 7:30 pm EST
Dates: Thursdays, March 4 – 25, 2021 (4 weeks)
Tuition: $114 (A $10 late fee will be added after Tuesday, March 2)
Location: Zoom (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- A prepared vocal piece no longer than 5 minutes in length.
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
4 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
Read about Ms. Rock
During her time at Mason, Ms. Rock has had the opportunity to study opera and classical voice in the D.C. area and abroad. She studied bel canto singing and performed Italian opera at the La Musica Lirica program in Novafeltria, Italy with Dr. Kathryn Hearden in the summer of 2017. Here she traveled to San Marino and local towns including Rimini, Sant’Agata, and Sant’Arcangelo to perform in Puccini’s La Boheme and Suor Angelica. Ms. Rock recently went on a study abroad tour to Reykjavik, Iceland with George Mason’s University Singers to perform at the Hallgrímskirkja and the Grafarvogskirkja Church.
Ms. Rock has participated in Master Classes with Metropolitan and internationally renowned Opera singers Danielle Talamantes, Ann Murray, Elizabeth Bishop, and most recently, Charlotte Hellekant. She has placed Honors and 3rd place in her categories at the National Association of Teachers of Singing State Competitions (NATS) and she recently placed 3rd in the 2019 Sue Goetz Ross Friday Morning Music Club Competition. In previous productions of Mason Opera, Ashlyn played the role of Celia in Gilbert & Sullivan’s Iolanthe, The Dew Fairy in Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel, as well as in Opera Scenes and in G.C. Menotti’s Amahl and the Night Visitors. In her last year at George Mason she played the role of Emmie in Benjamin Britten’s Albert Herring and the title role in Henry Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details including class schedule, supply list, web links, etc.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
“Ace Diamond: Fairy Tale Detective”
Saturdays, 9 am-12 pm | 1-4 pm EST
February 6-April 24
Visual Art Classes
Feb. 16–Mar. 27, 2020