Ages 4-6 | In-Person
Spring 2022 Registration is Open!
COVID Safety Guideline: Please be assured that all in-person programs will follow strict safety protocols required by George Mason University and are subject to pivoting to all virtual platforms if health and safety conditions warrant. Required protocols will include masks, physical distancing, Mason COVID health checks, and more. Please visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for all in-person programs. We will be routinely updating the information as it evolves. Stay informed by visiting our website and looking out for email alerts and other Academy communications.
Explore the Musical World Through Singing, Dancing, and Drumming!
Students will start to develop independence as well as further develop their musical ear, learn more complex rhythms, and continue to lay a foundation for music reading. Students will have the opportunity to play a variety of instruments including xylophones, shakers, and hand drums. This is a great stepping stone course to learning an instrument.
Skills Learned in This Class:
- Solfege and hand signs
- Begin to read notes on the staff through “Do Clef”
- Playing and reading rhythms
- Learn to “perform” songs on the xylophone
- Development of active listening and learn to communicate with children their own age
- Gain the ability to work with others in group activities
- Hand independence and fine motor skills
- Group compositions of music
- Develop skills that will encourage a smooth transition to private music lessons or learning another instrument.
Ages: 4 – 6
Dates: March 2 – April 27, 2022 (8 weeks)
Time: 5:15 – 6:00 pm
Skip Date: April 6
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
- All individuals must wear CDC-recommended face masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. Unvaccinated individuals are required to continue to wear masks outdoors when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- COVID Vaccination: The Academy expects all students who meet the age requirement to be vaccinated. Please be sure to report your vaccine status in the health form upon arrival.
As a soloist, Ms. Warfield was winner of the Mason Wind Symphony Solo Competition, the NFA Performers Masterclass, and a prize winner in the Masters Players Soloist Competition and Louis Vyner Competition. She performed in the Julius Baker Masterclass and was featured three consecutive summers at the Annual New England Conservatory Summer Metropolitan Flute Festival Orchestra.
Ms. Warfield currently serves as Second Flute in the Manassas Symphony and Old Bridge Chamber Orchestras and Third Flute/Piccolo in the Symphony of Northern Virginia.
She received degrees from Millersville University and George Mason University, studying with Julianna Nickel, Dr. William Montgomery, Mr. Joel Behrens, Mrs. Lana Behrens, and Dr. Linda Kirkpatrick.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- A $10 late registration fee will apply starting the Friday prior to the start of the program
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Piano Discoveries Level 1
Wednesdays, 4:45–5:30 pm
Feb. 9-May 25, 2022 (15 weeks)
Saturdays, 10–11:30 am
Feb. 19–Apr. 23, 2022 (8 weeks)