Summer 2020 registration is open!
FILMMAKING WORKSHOP FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL ONLINE
Do you anticipate being bored at home this summer? If so, why not go on a fantastic journey of filmmaking, instead?! This intensive online workshop takes students on a creative adventure while allowing them to hone the technical skills they’ll need to be savvy media artists. Using cell phones and free DaVinci Resolve editing software, students will create films at home while receiving instruction on storytelling, videography, sound recording and video editing from seasoned, professional filmmakers. Students will complete preproduction, production, and postproduction on their very own short films. The camp culminates with an online film festival showcasing the student work!
Ages: 11 – 14
Dates: July 6 – 17, 2020 (Two Weeks)
Times: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (M-F)
Location: Zoom & Blackboard (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Computer with internet access and audio/video capabilities
- Access to DaVinci Resolve software:
- Requires Mac OS X 10.10.5 or higher OR Windows 8.1 or higher
- 16GB RAM and ample storage space
- Linked-In Learning/Lynda.com account (1-month free trial membership available. Households that have already utilized that free trial membership will need to purchase a membership).
Recommended, but not required:
- Cellphone tripod
- External hard drive
- Recommended Drive specs:
- 1 TB (terabyte) minimum
- USB 3 connectivity at minimum; Thunderbolt and USB C are highly recommended
Thunderbolt or USB C adapter to USB 3 is also recommended
- At least 7200rpm
- Drive case to protect your portable drive
- Label your drive with a sharpie marker
Instructor: Lucy Gebre-Egziabher
Independent Filmmaker and Mason Film & Video Studies Professor
Read about Ms. Gebre-Egziabher
Director: Ben Steger
Mason Film & Video Studies Professor
“My son was working with the other students on his team and learning the importance of working in a team environment.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2019 Parent
“The camp taught the filmmaking process and editing experience. As a parent, I am also glad the camp discussed the business part of filmmaking.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2019 ParentSee More Testimonials
“You really helped me discover how much I love film more than I thought I would.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2018 Participant
“My favorite part was the filming process and editing.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2017 Participant
“Everyone learning theory and software was my favorite part.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2017 Participant
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including camp schedule, supply list, web links, etc.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.