Summer 2020 registration is open!
SUMMER FILMMAKING WORKSHOP ONLINE
Do you anticipate being bored at home this summer? If so, why not go on a fantastic journey of filmmaking, instead?! This intensive online workshop takes students on a creative adventure while allowing them to hone the technical skills they’ll need to be savvy media artists. Using cell phones and free DaVinci Resolve editing software, students will create films at home while receiving instruction on storytelling, videography, sound recording and video editing from seasoned, professional filmmakers. Students will complete preproduction, production, and postproduction on their very own short films. The camp culminates with an online film festival showcasing the student work!
Dates: July 20 – 31, 2020 (Two Weeks)
Times: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (M-F)
Location: Online (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Computer with internet access and audio/video capabilities
- Access to DaVinci Resolve 16 software [Download for Free]
- Requires Mac OS X 10.10.5 or higher OR Windows 8.1 or higher
- 16GB RAM and ample storage space
- Linked-In Learning/Lynda.com account (1-month free trial membership available. Households that have already utilized that free trial membership will need to purchase a membership).
Recommended, but not required:
- Cellphone tripod
- External hard drive
- Recommended Drive specs:
- 1 TB (terabyte) minimum
- USB 3 connectivity at minimum; Thunderbolt and USB C are highly recommended
Thunderbolt or USB C adapter to USB 3 is also recommended
- At least 7200rpm
- Drive case to protect your portable drive
- Label your drive with a sharpie marker
Instructor: Lisa Thrasher
Mason Film & Video Studies Professor
Read about Ms. Thrasher
At POWER UP Films, Ms. Thrasher was President of Film Production & Distribution conducting all Film, TV & PSA development, production, and distribution. At 20th Century Fox, Ms. Thrasher did International Anti-Piracy Litigation & Trademark Prosecution and Anti-Piracy Advocacy seated on the Motion Picture Association’s International Anti-Piracy Committee with Sony, Universal, MGM, Disney, Paramount and Warner Bros where Ms. Thrasher conducted negotiations with Foreign Heads of State, including Mexico’s President Vicente Fox, to protect the Studios’ Films. Also a Film Professor/Film Festival Panelist at Chung Ang University in Seoul, Korea; The Goethe Institut in Johannesburg, South Africa and The South African Broadcasting Corp in Cape Town for Out in Africa; University at Buffalo; Ohio State University “Pop! Impact Forum;” Madrid’s Spanish Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences; South by Southwest “Gender and Sexuality in Film;” and a Short Film Screener for the Sundance Film Festival. Ms. Thrasher also worked on documentaries for Producer Michael Paseornek, CEO/Founder of Lion’s Gate Films, and a Reality Television Producer on “Lunch Box Heros” (NBC) starring Leslie Nielson and “Open For Business” (PBS) starring Itzhak Perlman.
Director: Ben Steger
Mason Film & Video Studies Professor
“The camp taught the filmmaking process and editing experience. As a parent, I am also glad the camp discussed the business part of filmmaking.” – Parent of Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2019 ParticipantSee More Testimonials
“You really helped me discover how much I love film more than I thought I would.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2018 Participant
“My favorite part was the filming process and editing.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2017 Participant
“Everyone learning theory and software was my favorite part.” – Filmmaking Summer Workshop 2017 Participant
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including camp schedule, supply list, web links, etc.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.