Piano Discoveries 1
COVID Safety Guidelines: Mason Community Arts Academy follows all safety protocols required by George Mason University. Visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for more information.
In this Level 1 beginner class, students will learn the musical alphabet at the keyboard in a limited hand position. As students learn the keys, they will also begin reading music on the staff. Students will become familiar with piano through games and exercises in class, along with some written theory practice for home. Through singing and playing, students will be able to learn music at a comfortable pace. This class continues with a Level 2 class in the Fall semester.
Lesson books and class materials provided.
Dates: Wednesdays, 4:45 – 5:30 pm
February 6 – May 22, 2023 (15 weeks)
Skip Dates: April 3
Location: Mason Fairfax Campus, de Laski Performing Arts Building
- Mask & PPE Requirements—Masks are optional, but strongly recommended, for students and faculty in all programming. *See University Policy on Face Coverings for full details.
- COVID Vaccination: Schedule your vaccine today >>
Dr. Kelly Nam
Academy Teaching Artist
Languages: English (fluent) | Korean (fluent)
Musical Styles: Classical, Jazz, Modern, Game Music, Film OST
Specialized Skill Levels: All
Suzuki Method: Available, Books 1-7
Dr. Kelly Nam holds a Doctor of Musical Arts in Piano Performance and Pedagogy with minors in Music Theory and Music History from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and a Master’s of Music in Piano Performance from the University of Indiana, Bloomington. She also holds a Bachelor of Music from Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea.
As a winner of the 2005 Wisconsin Beethoven Competition and many international and national piano competitions (such as the Tenth Age and Musical Journal Competition in Korea), Dr. Nam has appeared as soloist, collaborator, duo-pianist, accompanist, and lecturer throughout the United States. Internationally, Dr. Nam played Chopin concerto No.1 with Korean Symphony Orchestra at Seoul Arts Center in 2001 and made numerous appearances in concert halls worldwide. Recent venues where she performed includes concert halls at George Mason University in VA, Alfred University in NY, Quinnipiac University in CT, and Elon University in NC.
As a critical pedagogy scholar, Dr. Nam has been a frequent contributor to the College Music Society and the Music Teachers National Association. For her brilliant research in the field of music education and assessment, Dr. Nam was awarded 2010 National Teaching Scholar by Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
Prior to joining Mason Community Arts Academy at George Mason University, Dr. Nam taught at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT and the University of Wisconsin, Madison in Madison, WI. Besides offering piano studio courses at MCAA, she teaches game music composition, sound design, and digital audio editing at George Mason University.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Online registration closes 2 business days before the first class, however space may still be available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. A $10 late registration fee may apply.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.