ANIME ART & TECHNOLOGY CAMP ONLINE
SUMMER 2022 INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY!
Anime is an international phenomenon! And it is growing in scope and popularity by the day! While we tend to regard anime as a distinctive Japanese media (think: “Sailor Moon,” “DragonBall-Z,” or “Speed Racer”) the term anime is just the Japanese term for animation, and there are many different styles. The popular look can change and evolve over time, but the key techniques to animation are constant: draw still images and run them in sequence to give the illusion of movement. This course will use the popular characters and styles kids love to look at as the basics of frame-by-frame 2D animation and give students a chance to use industry-standard software and techniques to bring their own creative vision to life.
You might also be interested in our “Choose Your Character” Concept Design Studio Online (July 5-9) or Digital Illustration: Character Creation Studio Online (July 26-31).
New STEAM Curriculum: Students will explore the artistic process with a STEAM approach and seek creative solutions alongside other students their age. Through guided projects and peer feedback, students will have the opportunity to interact with other artists and share their interests in all things digital illustration!
Ages: 11 – 18
Dates: August 2 – 6 | August 9 – 13, 2021 (M-F)
Times: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm EST
Location: Online (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Access to Krita and/or ShotCut software (free). Recommended but not required: Access to Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Premiere
- Please note: Instructors will not be able to assist students with software other than those listed above.
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
8 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
August 2 – 6 Registration closed.
Instructor: Zachary Rhoades
Animation and Comic Artist
Read more about Zachary Rhoades
Director: Justin Sutters, Ph.D.
Mason School of Art Professor
Read about Mr. Sutters
“My daughter loves it! And I love the interaction and feedback. I have never seen her this focused. Thank you for creating such an inclusive environment.” – Anime Art & Technology Camp 2020 Parent
“My daughter loved all of it. I loved the supreme organization of dropoff and pickup, and that she enjoyed her camp.” – Anime Art & Technology Camp 2019 Parent
“My favorite part of the camp was learning computer programs to make art.” – Anime Art & Technology Camp 2019 Participant
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, safety protocols, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including camp schedule, supply list, web links, etc. For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.