Summer 2021 Online Programs Now Open!
JumpstART: ADVANCED PORTFOLIO PREP ONLINE
This class will allow high school students to further develop their skills and conceptual development towards a completed art portfolio for college submission. Dr. Justin Sutters is the Director of the Art Education program at Mason and has extensive experience working with high school students, both as a teacher and one who prepares teachers. Students will be guided through numerous artistic processes such as printmaking, calligraphy, altered books, and handmade books. Students will be provided with a supply list of suggested materials to purchase, but are also encouraged to use what they already have. We will make use of a lot of found objects as well. Students will conduct research on artists online and participate in daily sketchbook activities and written reflection.
While the completely online format will provide some challenges, it also will provide students a lot of freedom and continue to cultivate an artistic practice on their own, which is an excellent experience in preparing for art school.
You might also be interested in our Intro to Graphic Design Online, July 19 – 23.
Ages: 13 – 18
Dates: July 26 – 30, 2021 (M-F)
Times: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm EST
Location: Blackboard (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Students will be required to purchase their own supplies. TBA.
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
4 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
Director/ Instructor: Justin Sutters, Ph.D.
Mason School of Art Professor
Read about Dr. Sutters
“The projects were advanced and allowed the students to explore new materials and tools.” – JumpstART Advanced Summer Studio 2018 ParentSee More Testimonials
“I was thrilled listening to my 16-year-old daughter talking about how much she loved the camp at the end of the day and what she learned.” – JumpstART Advanced Summer Studio 2018 Parent
“My favorite part was learning all the different techniques of printmaking.” – JumpstART Advanced Summer Studio 2018 Participant
“The teacher was fun and encouraging.” – JumpstART Advanced Summer Studio 2017 Participant
“My daughter loved working with Jelli and intends to buy it to keep making prints.” – JumpstART Advanced Summer Studio 2017 Parent
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, safety protocols, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including camp schedule, supply list, web links, etc. For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.