STOP MOTION ANIMATION STUDIO ONLINE
SUMMER 2022 INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY!
Do you want to be the director and animator of your very own stop motion animation film? Instructors will guide students to experiment with various artistic forms using clay, painting, drawing, Legos, and other materials to create objects and build sets. Advancing a STEAM approach of integrating Art with STEM subjects, participants will learn how to create digital special effects through open-source software. The curriculum will include film-related topics such as storyboarding, production, and editing. (Note: Adult guidance and technology support may be required for younger students)
New STEAM Curriculum: Students will explore the artistic process with a STEAM approach and seek creative solutions alongside other students their age. Through guided projects and peer feedback, students will have the opportunity to interact with other artists and share their interests in all things digital illustration!
Ages: 10 – 14
Dates: August 2 – 6, 2021 (M-F)
Times: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm EST
Location: Online (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Purchase of ‘Stop Motion Studio’ app for iOS or Android required. Please note: Instructors will not be able to assist students with software other than the listed one.
- Access to a camera or smart phone with camera
- Household materials to animate (clay, paper, legos, toys, crayons, pencils)
- A space on table or floor large enough for students to film set/scene (2×2 ft. area)
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
4 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
PREVIEW FILM SAMPLES FROM SUMMER 2020:
Instructor: Zachary Rhoades
Animation and Comic Artist
Read about Mr. Rhoades
Director: Justin Sutters, Ph.D.
Mason School of Art Professor
Read about Dr. Sutters
“The animation was amazing. My son loves going to the computer lab to add sound to the movies.” – STEAM Art: Stop Motion Animation 2019 Grandparent
“My granddaughters loved the camp. There were ready to go to the camp each morning before I was.” – STEAM Art: Stop Motion Animation 2019 GrandparentSee More Testimonials
“My child learned SO much about engineering, design, story-telling, and teamwork. It was a multi-faceted experience that excited and inspired my child.” – STEAM Art: Stop Motion Animation 2017 Parent
“My favorite part was the final creation/video.” – STEAM Art: Stop Motion Animation 2017 Participant
“I love that the camp integrated art and technology.” – STEAM Art: Stop Motion Animation 2017 Participant
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, safety protocols, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including camp schedule, supply list, web links, etc. For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.