ADVANCED MUSIC THEORY SUMMER WORKSHOP
SUMMER 2019 INFORMATION WILL BE UPDATED BY JANUARY 15, 2019!
Take your musicianship to the next level with one of our new Music Theory Workshops! Courses are open to all instrumentalists and singers, and will develop crucial aural, analytical, and interpretative skills that will create well rounded musicians. Elements of music history will also be explored. Whether you’re new to the theory world or preparing for college-level music theory courses, our Intro and Advanced level workshops will provide the perfect learning environment for you.
SEE SUMMER 2018 BLOGPOST (coming soon!)
Ages: 14-18 years
Dates: July 23-27, 2018
Times: 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. (M-F)
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax
*Aftercare not available for this program
You might also be interested in the Intro to Music Theory Workshop, July 16-20, 2018.
The basics of Music Theory will be covered in this workshop:
- Reviewing scales in Major and minor keys and modes
- Constructing diatonic triads, Dominant seventh, and half and fully-diminished seventh chords
- Building logical harmonic progressions from diatonic triads
- Composing and identifying cadences, including tonicized cadences (if class experience permits)
- Harmonizing a melodic line with diatonic chords
- Introduction to figured bass notation and interpretation
- Identifying and analyzing modulation passages (if class experience permits)
- Harmonic and formal analysis of short works
- In addition, we will be singing in solfege and working on playing progressions at the piano, harmonizing chorales, and realizing figured bass lines.
Instructor: Drew Robertson
Read about Mr. Robertson
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive an Advanced Music Theory Welcome Letter 2018 via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including drop off, pick up, what to bring, etc. Feel free to call the Academy office with questions at 703-993-9889.
To register by phone or request a paper registration form, please call the Academy office at 703-993-9889.