BEGINNER GUITAR CAMP
SUMMER 2022 INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY!
This one-week workshop for beginners will cover the basics of guitar playing and prepare the student for individual lessons or a school guitar program. Guided by Mason Community Arts Academy Teaching Artists, students will learn the basics of guitar notation forms, how to play melodies, and strum chords. An acoustic guitar (nylon strings recommended) is required.
Ages: 8 – 12
Dates: June 21 – 25, 2021
Times: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (M-F)
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
*After Care not available
- CDC Recommended Face Mask
- An acoustic guitar (nylon strings recommended)
- Writing supplies: pencils, pens, and notebooks
Instructor: Dr. Andrew Cote
Mason School of Music Faculty
Read about Dr. Cote
As a rock and popular music artist, Dr. Cote has recorded with several groups including Aaron Tinjum and the Tangents, Winterstar, Marijke, The Double Yellow, The Dino Monkeys, Armaniche’s Architects, Famous Ladies, and several more. He is an active studio drummer, recording on several albums each year. Andrew currently teaches orchestration, aural skills, and popular music history at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. Andrew also is the Staff Arranger and Director of Choirs at Truro Anglican Church, also in Fairfax, VA.
Dr. Cote earned a Doctorate in Music Composition from George Mason University, a Master’s degree in Music Composition from Central Michigan University, and a Bachelor’s degree in Music Education from the University of New Hampshire. His former composition instructors include Mark Camphouse, David R. Gillingham, Andrew Boysen Jr., David Hollinden, Jay Batzner, and Michael Annicchiarico.
“I like learning to read music and the exposure to different types of music” – Beginner Guitar Summer Camp 2020 Participant
“My daughter loved everything about the program. The time of the class was perfect.” – Beginner Guitar Summer Camp 2020 Parent
“I really appreciated the half-day nature of the program, the book as part of the package, the one-on-one time between student and teacher, and the performance at the end.” – Beginner Guitar Summer Camp 2017 Parent
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, safety protocols, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including drop off, pick up, what to bring, etc. Feel free to contact the Academy office with questions at email@example.com.
- Questions about parking on campus? Find answers here.