MASON SUMMER GUITAR INTENSIVE
This classical guitar workshop led by Mason School of Music professors and guest artists is designed to develop young guitarists’ technique, expand their musical repertoire, and gain valuable experience in ensembles. Solo and ensemble performances will finish out the week. Students are expected to have a minimum of two years of study in classical style and have basic note reading skills.
An Audition Video is required for this program. Please see instructions below!
SEE SUMMER 2019 BLOGPOST (coming soon!)
Ages: 13-18 years
Dates: July 15-19, 2019
Times: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (M-F)
Location: Mason Fairfax Campus, Harris Theatre
VIDEO AUDITION REQUIRED
To be sure of proper placement in this program, please submit a 3 to 7 minute video of music that represents your current playing level and ability. A complete piece, segment of a larger work, or two short pieces is acceptable.
- Upload your video to YouTube; be sure to mark it as “Unlisted” in the video settings before you publish, so that only people who you share the specific url link with can view it.
- “Label” the video with the performer’s name, the name & composer of the piece via either or both of the following methods: a) The performer can say this information in the beginning of the actual recording of the video; b) When uploading to YouTube, enter this information in the “Description” box.
- When your video is published to YouTube, please EMAIL the URL link to the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org and title the email “Summer Guitar Intensive Placement Video”.
WE’RE SORRY, THIS PROGRAM IS CLOSED.
An “Extended Day” option is available for this program from 4-6 pm for $90/week, located in Mason’s Performing Arts Building and staffed by the Academy’s Summer Staff. After registering for this program (but before final checkout/ payment!), search for “Extended Day” or “After Care”, choose the corresponding week, and add to your cart – or Register Here separately.
Director: Matt Trkula, Mason School of Music Faculty
Email questions to email@example.com
Read about Mr. Trkula
Mr. Trkula showed exceptional ability on the guitar at an early age and began his performing career at age 12. He has since performed across the country both as a soloist and with chamber groups, presenting recitals in a variety of venues ranging from concert halls to jazz clubs. His playing has earned him numerous awards including the Oscar Ghiglia Scholarship and the Andres Segovia Scholarship, as well as prizes in several competitions including First Prize in the National Federation of Music Clubs Competition and Forth Prize in the Music Teachers National Association Competition.
Mr. Trkula joined the guitar ensemble faculty at George Mason in 2015 after serving as the Guitar Ensemble graduate assistant to Professor Larry Snitzler for two years. He will be teaching applied classical guitar beginning in fall 2016. In addition to his work at George Mason, Mr. Trkula teaches guitar for Fairfax County Public Schools at South Lakes High School and maintains an active private studio in Northern Virginia specializing in teaching classical guitar to young students. Mr. Trkula is also involved with several community outreach efforts, working regularly with local schools to arrange joint performances, conducting clinics and workshops, and taking Mason music students into the local community to perform.
Other Instructors TBA
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Guitar Intensive Welcome Letter 2019 via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including drop off, pick up, what to bring, etc. Feel free to call the Academy office with questions at 703-993-9889.
- Questions about parking on campus? Find answers here.
To register by phone or request a paper registration form, please call the Academy office at 703-993-9889.