Summer 2021 registration now open!
COVID Safety Guideline: Please be assured that all in-person programs will follow strict safety protocols required by George Mason University and are subject to pivoting to all virtual platforms if health and safety conditions warrant. Required protocols will include masks, physical distancing, daily health checks, and more. Please visit our COVID Safety Guidelines for all in-person programs. We will be routinely updating the information as it evolves. Stay informed by visiting our website and looking out for email alerts and other Academy communications.
Viola Bootcamp is a rigorous, supportive program for intermediate viola students focused on building a healthy technical foundation. Led by Academy string faculty and guest artists, the week includes private lessons, supervised daily practice, fundamentals and scales classes, workshops on practice techniques and audition strategies, and masterclasses. Students ages 10-18 are grouped according to age and playing level.
Ages: 10 – 18
Dates: July 12 – 16, 2021
Times: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (M-F)
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
*After Care not available
Sample Schedule May Include
- CDC Recommended Face Mask
- Writing supplies: pencils, pens, notebook
- Placement audition video submitted by Monday, June 28. See below for details.
Join our waitlist!
PLACEMENT AUDITION VIDEO REQUIRED
Please submit a link to an unlisted YouTube video (no longer than 5 minutes) of one major and minor scale and a selection of repertoire demonstrating your highest level of performance to email@example.com with “Viola Bootcamp_student’s name” in the subject line. All videos must be submitted by Monday, June 28.
Director: Dr. Patrick LeStrange
Academy Teaching Artist
Read about Dr. LeStrange
An avid chamber musician, Dr. LeStrange has performed in concert venues throughout the United States and Canada. He is a current member of the Washington Chamber Orchestra, where he frequently serves as Principal Violist. He is often heard in concerts and recitals at George Mason, performing with faculty members of the Academy and the University.
Instructor: Elizabeth O’Hara Stahr
Read about Ms. Stahr
“I enjoyed meeting new instructors outside of my lesson time.”―Viola Bootcamp 2020 Participant
“Thank you so much for running the Viola Bootcamp. My daughter had a wonderful time and loved every minute. Even though we live in Chicago, she didn’t even mind waking up early.”―Viola Bootcamp 2020 Parent
- Be sure to check our FAQs and policies and procedures regarding registration, safety protocols, curriculum, technology, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details, including camp schedule, supply list, weblinks, etc. For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions about parking on campus? Find answers here.