Orff Schulwerk Certification
SUMMER 2022 INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY!
Level II is a big step for students who have made the decision to complete the Certification Program. It is a time for expanded learning after using and developing elemental musical and movement materials following Level I. It is also a time when many questions about theory and pedagogy that arose during the school year may be answered, and class discussions concerning application are approached on a more knowledgeable and practical level. The curriculum will review and complete work with additional pentatonic scales in preparation for activities involving hexatonic scales and the diatonic modes (Aeolian, Dorian, Mixolydian, Phrygian) in ways that are accessible and appealing to both you and your students. Rhythmic work will expand to more interesting and complex pieces in meters of 5, 7 and changing meters. Instrumental work will further develop skills in rhythmic and melodic percussion. The alto recorder will be introduced, developing playing skills and further exploring pedagogy using the alto and soprano recorders. Movement classes draw on the ideas and concepts outlined above and make use of more advanced techniques and skills. Pedagogical concepts are built on the ensemble and individual experience.
Dates: July 12 – 23, 2021 (2 weeks)
Times: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (M–F)
Instructors: Betsy Sebring, Mary Evans, and John Barnes
Location: Mason Fairfax Campus, Performing Arts Building
On-Campus Housing: See Details
Parking: $25 per week Purchase A Pass | Parking Map
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, June 15
Mason COVID Policy: Masks are no longer required (but are still encouraged) for individuals who have received a full dose of the COVID vaccine. Masks are required at all times for individuals who have not received the full dose of the COVID vaccine, with the exception of eating, drinking, and playing recorder.
- Required Materials: Supply List via West Music (PDF)
- CDC Recommended Face Mask for all non-vaccinated students
- Writing supplies: pencils, pens, and a notebook
NON-CREDIT Registration Closed
Please note: If you are registering for NON-CREDIT and are paying by check, click HERE.
FOR-CREDIT: 3 Credits Registration Closed
Tuition: $1,698 (In state) | $2,019 (Out of state)
Attention: For-Credit registrations are not eligible for VA Education Benefits. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information before registering.
For-Credit Registration Instructions:
- For-credit registrations are managed by Mason’s Continuing and Professional Education office.
- Click the “Register for Credit” button to register.
- On the right side of the page, you will see the details of the course including dates, times, and course fees. Click the green “Add to Cart” button.
- Doublecheck the in-state or out-of-state fee selection and then “Checkout” at the top of the page. This will then prompt you to make an account through the online portal. Please choose “I am a new user or I have an inquiry” and enter your email address and “Create Account.”
- Please fill out all data required and then “Continue Checkout.”
- You will then be prompted to complete your payment option.
- Once payment is received, you will get an enrollment and payment receipt.
Sample daily schedule:
- An opening warm-up: songs, canons or movement at 8:30 sharp!
- Two class periods in basic pedagogy and elemental music theory – 3.5 hours total.
- A recorder class including playing techniques, literature, and pedagogy as well as music and movement applications. 1 hour
- A class in movement including development of vocabulary and skills, pedagogy as well as musical applications – 75 minutes.
- In addition, there will be four special topic sessions throughout the course in which all three Levels come together for musical and movement experiences.
- And… of course breaks for travel, refreshment and lunch!
- Hand drums – due to shortages, we are asking that those who have access to hand drums to please bring them. Please put your name or your school’s name on any drums that you bring.
- A barred instrument from your school is handy to have at home to try out your orchestration assignments.
- Children’s Poetry, Myths/Tales and Quality Picture Books
Credit and Non-Credit Enrollment: Assignments and Requirements
Please Note: For-credit courses/programs are not approved for VA Education Benefits. For questions related to VA benefits for these courses/programs, please reach out to Katie Fox-Heim at email@example.com for additional information before registering.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds, and more for summer programs.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the program starts with all necessary details including drop off, pick up, what to bring, etc. Feel free to contact the Academy office with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Program Refund Policy Read more
- Non-credit option: A tuition refund minus a $50 cancelation fee will be given provided that notice is received by the Mason Community Arts Academy no later than 2 weeks before the program start date. No refunds will be granted after this date without valid medical documentation.
- For-credit option: A tuition refund minus a $125 cancelation fee will be given provided that notice is received by the Mason Community Arts Academy no later than 1 week before the program start date. No refunds will be granted after this date.
- Housing: No refunds for on-campus housing will be given after June 1.