Spring 2021 Registration is Open!
PIANO DISCOVERIES LEVEL 1 ONLINE
Sing. Play. Learn.
This 12-week online class is an excellent introduction to the piano and basic musical concepts through singing, playing, keyboard exercises, and games. Students will have daily written theory and practice assignments and will learn to read music and play a variety of songs along with their peers. Through singing and playing, students will be able to learn music at a comfortable pace. The teacher will do an individual assessment for each student throughout the class.
Students will need to have a piano or keyboard at home, a reliable internet connection, a phone or tablet on a tripod or table, and some assistance from a parent or caregiver to set up for class and help with practice.
Note: Students are responsible for purchasing their own piano books. (See requirements below)
Ages: 6 – 9 (rising 1st-grade minimum)
Dates: Mondays, February 15 – May 17, 2021 (12 weeks)
Time: 4:30 – 5:30 pm EST
Skip Dates: March 29 | April 5
Tuition: $342 (A $10 late fee will be added after Saturday, February 13)
Location: Zoom (Details provided in Welcome Letter)
- Students will need to have a piano or keyboard at home
- Some assistance from a parent or caregiver to set up for class and help with practice
- Please purchase the following books
Piano Discoveries on Staff: Starter Discoverer Book by Janet Vogt and Leon Bates
Theory Discoveries level 1A Theory Book by Janet Vogt and Leon Bates
- Computer, tablet, or smart phone on a tripod or table with internet access and audio/video capabilities. Please check to be sure your computer or device meets these requirements before registering for this program. All online programs require students to have, at minimum: high-speed internet access, a computer/tablet/smart phone with a built-in camera and microphone capable of running the video conferencing tool Zoom. For best performance, here are our recommended technical requirements:
- Operating Systems
macOS 10.13 or newer
Apple iOS and Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
Use a Mac five years old or newer, or other device three years old or newer, if possible.
4 GB of RAM
2 GHz processor
- Internet Speed
Minimum of 1.5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload
- Operating Systems
6 spaces remaining.
Dr. Kelly Nam
Academy Teaching Artist
Read about Dr. Nam
Prior to joining Mason Community Arts Academy at George Mason University, Dr. Nam taught at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT and the University of Wisconsin, Madison in Madison, WI.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- The Academy will not be responsible for students unable to participate due to lack of technology and will be unable to offer any refunds in this event.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details including class schedule, supply list, web links, etc.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at email@example.com.