The Academy is Excited to Announce Its Fourth
SPRING MUSIC COMPETITION
Please check back Spring 2023 for Updated Information
This competition is open to current Academy private music students only.
The Academy’s Spring Music Competition is an excellent opportunity for students to gain audition experience and receive valuable feedback from a judging panel of select Academy instructors. Students with exceptional performances will be selected to receive a lesson with a George Mason University’s Dewberry School of Music professor.
All Competition proceeds go to Academy scholarship and outreach programs. Participation is not only good for you and your musical growth but also helps others in the community gain access to quality arts experiences.
Step 1: Register
Ages: Junior Division (Ages 5-12) | Senior Division (Ages 13+)
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 5, 2021
Entry Fee: $38 (non-refundable, includes a $3 transaction fee)
- This competition is open to current Academy private music students only.
- After you register, you will begin receiving important email communications regarding the Competition.
- As Academy students, you should already have an existing account. Your default username is your email address. If you don’t know or have forgotten your password, please email the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org for a reset.
Please contact your instructor for more information.
Step 2: Prepare & Submit Your Audition Video
Once you are signed up, create your audition video following the guidelines below.
- The video can be recorded on any device/camera, as long as the quality is decent; this does not have to be a professional recording, be sure to “put your best foot forward.”
- The room should be well lit.
- The video must show the performer’s entire body and instrument.
- Pieces MUST be memorized. (For exceptions, contact us at email@example.com)
- You should include 1-2 complete pieces or movements, no more than 8 minutes total.
- Pieces can be performed with or without accompaniment.
- Formal attire is not required for video. However, all entrants should dress appropriately as if for a live audition.
- Upload your video to YouTube; be sure to mark it as “Unlisted” in the video settings before you publish so that only people with who you share the specific URL link can view it. When your video is published to YouTube, please email the URL link to firstname.lastname@example.org and title the email “Music Competition Audition Video.”
Note: Be sure to “label” the video with the performer’s name, the name & composer of the piece, and what grade the performer is currently in (for minors) via both of the following methods:
a) The performer should say this information at the beginning of the actual recording of the video;
b) When uploading to YouTube, enter this information in the “Description” box.
Step 3: Await Judges Feedback
Your Audition Videos will be adjudicated and scored by an Academy instructor other than your own instructor. Once scores are tallied, your Feedback Form will be released to your instructor to review during your next lesson. The highest-scoring students will be selected to receive a private lesson with a Mason Dewberry School of Music professor of their like instrument.
- Once students receive their Feedback Form, they should review it with their teacher. The feedback is intended to give musicianship insights and critiques that will encourage students to grow and excel. This is one of the most important aspects of our competition!
- Participants who are selected to receive a private lesson with a GMU professor will be notified directly to schedule lessons.
If you have questions, please contact the Academy office at email@example.com or call 703-993-9889.