2019 SPRING MUSIC COMPETITION
& HONORS RECITAL
Registration Deadline for 2019 Competition: Thursday, December 20, 2018
Honors Recital Performance: Sunday March 17, 2019
See below for important dates and deadlines!
The Academy is excited to announce the 3rd annual Spring Music Competition, open to all area student musicians! The Academy’s Spring Music Competition is an excellent opportunity for students of all ages to gain audition experience, receive valuable musicianship feedback from a judging panel of select university professors and respected area music educators, and have the chance to perform in the Honors Recital in Harris Theatre on the Mason Fairfax campus. A major component of the competition is the Audition Video, which the entrant will need to prepare and submit. Learn all the details in the step by step guide below!
This competition is open to both Academy students and students from other schools/ studios!
All Competition proceeds go to Academy scholarship and outreach programs, participation is not only good for you and your musical growth but also helps others in the community gain access to quality arts experiences.
*Note: If you submit an audition video, you are committing to perform in the Honors Recital, if chosen.
Please check your availability carefully before entering!
STEP ONE: Sign Up / Register
Friday December 14, 2018 Extended to Thursday, Dec 20th!
The first thing to do is to sign up for the Competition – for minors, this requires a Parent/ Guardian to assist! Competition entrants will fit into one of four Divisions:
- Elementary (K-5th grade)
- Middle School (6th – 8th grade)
- High School (9th – 12th grade)
- Adult Amateur (does not make a living from or study music professionally)
The Entry Fee for the Competition is $28 (non-refundable, includes a $3 transaction fee). Click on the “Register Now” button below to begin, and have your credit card ready for payment. After you register, you will begin receiving important email communications regarding the Competition.
- Those new to the academy will create a new account during registration. Parents, please include PARENT email address for both yourself and your child.
- For past/ current Academy students, you should already have an existing account. Your default username is your email address. If you don’t know or have forgotten your password, please call the Academy office for a re-set at 703-993-9889!
- For those entrants selected to perform in the Honors Recital, there will be an additional $53 recital fee (see below). Entrants are committing to perform in the Honors Recital, if chosen. Please check your availability carefully before entering!
Registration Opens October 29th.
STEP TWO: Prepare & Submit Your Audition Video
Video Submission Deadline: January 14, 2019
Once you are signed up, it’s time to begin preparing for the all-important Audition Video! You will need to create a video of yourself playing your chosen piece of music using the guidelines below. You will also need to secure a collaborative pianist (if applicable to your specific instrument) and schedule any rehearsals and the recording session itself.
- The video can be recorded on any device/ camera, as long as the quality is decent; this does not have to be a professional recording, just be sure that you are “putting your best foot forward”.
- You should include 1-2 complete pieces or movements, no more than 5 minutes total (for longer pieces contact the office at 703-993-9889 for guidance). This is the music you will play, if chosen, for the honors recital.
- The room should be well lit for the video recording.
- Pieces MUST be memorized. (For exceptions, contact the office at 703-993-9889)
- Video must show performers entire body and instrument, and video must include the collaborative pianist (if applicable). Formal attire not required for video, however all entrants should dress appropriately as if for a live audition.
- Pieces with accompaniment must use a live pianist for the video (participants will arrange and pay for their own accompanist; the Academy may have suggestions/ recommendations).
- Upload your video to YouTube; be sure to mark it as “Unlisted” in the video settings before you publish, so that only people who you share the specific url link with can view it.
- Be sure to “label” the video with the performer’s name, the name & composer of the piece, and what grade the performer is currently in (for minors) via either or both of the following methods: a) The performer can say this information in the beginning of the actual recording of the video; b) When uploading to YouTube, enter this information in the “Description” box.
- When your video is published to YouTube, please EMAIL the URL link to the Academy at email@example.com and title the email “Music Competition Audition Video”.
- If you submit an audition video, you are committing to perform in the recital, if chosen. Please check your availability carefully before entering!
STEP THREE: Await Judges Feedback/ Scores and Honors Recital Announcement
Feedback/ Announcement Date: February 22, 2019
Your Audition Videos will be adjudicated and scored by a select panel of university professors and respected local music educators! Valuable Feedback Forms will be collected for each student. Once total scores are tallied, the Feedback Forms will be released to the students and the Honors Recital performers will be announced. The highest scoring students in each Division will be selected to perform.
- Once students pick up their Feedback Forms, they should review them with their teacher. The feedback is intended to give musicianship insights and critiques that will encourage students to grow and excel. This is one of the most important aspects of our Competition!
- For those participants who are selected to perform in the Honors Recital, they will make final preparations to perform their audition piece live.
STEP FOUR: Honors Recital Performance in Mason’s Harris Theatre
2019 Recital Date: March 17, 2019
Although we believe that everyone benefits from participation in the Competition, those receiving the highest scores will perform in the Honors Recital on stage in Harris Theatre on the Mason Fairfax campus, complete with a grand piano, lighting, backstage assistance and reception. For the selected performers, there is an additional $53 recital fee. Just like the Audition Video, you will once again need to secure a collaborative pianist (if applicable to your specific instrument) and schedule any rehearsals and the recital itself.
- Although there is a recital fee to perform, attendance to the recital is free and open to the public.
- Specific time(s) TBA.
- Students will receive a special Honors Recital Certificate after the performance.
If you have questions, please contact the Academy office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-993-9889.