Patriot Violins is the new intermediate violin ensemble of Mason Community Arts Academy. Violinists in this ensemble will share certain key characteristics: dedication to music as a core part of their life, fluency and facility on the violin, and openness to forming meaningful connections with the other violinists in the ensemble. Developing a strong team dynamic is essential for a positive ensemble, so violinists must be willing to engage and contribute to creating this dynamic by preparing their individual parts outside of rehearsal and sharing honestly and respectfully during discussions.
The Patriot Violin experience will include:
~Two sessions of one-hour rehearsal each month
~Learning exciting repertoire in a variety of styles
~Opportunities to practice solo performance in a supportive
December and June
~Exciting community performances (dates and venues TBD)
~A closing celebration on Friday, June 12, 2020
To be eligible, participants must:
~Have at least one year of prior ensemble experience
~Be able to read music fluently in keys up to three flats and three sharps
~Be able to play two octave scales in first and third position (5th preferred)
~Be able to shift between first and third positions comfortably (5th preferred)
~Show facility in using the entire bow and the martele, detache, and legato strokes
~Perform repertoire at an ASTACAP Level 3 or higher
OR Suzuki Book 3 and higher level
Time: 7-8 p.m.
Tuition: $712.50 (Full-year)
To register, indicate “yes” to Patriot Violins on the online registration form for your private lessons, available July 29th.
- Students accepted into the Patriot Violins program will be enrolled and charged along with private lessons with a choice of payment in full or montly installments. Students will be notified of acceptance the week of August 19th.
- Note: this is a full academic year program committment. No refunds or withdrawals will be granted after the 3rd class in the fall.
OTHER CLASS DATES
- Recital Dates: Saturdays, December 14, 2019 and June 6, 2020
- Opening Workshop: Saturday, September 7, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Closing Session: Friday, June 12, 6-8 p.m.
- Additional Performance Opportunities: TBD
Please send the following to Claire Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Monday, August 19.
Results will be emailed later that week.
- Recorded in one, unedited take. Should show the applicant’s entire body. Avoid backlighting so the student can be clearly seen.
- One major scale and one melodic minor scale of the applicant’s choice, 2 or 3 octaves – memorized
- 1-2 minutes of a solo piece showing the applicant’s highest level of ability
- Excerpts #1-3 (do not have to be memorized)
- OPTIONAL: Excerpt #4, if the applicant would like to show facility in higher positions.
(Please answer in complete sentences in email to Claire Allen email@example.com along with audition video. Student should complete this section on their own)
- Describe a meaningful ensemble experience you have had in the past year.
- Describe a time when something was challenging for you on the violin, and how you worked through it.
- Why is music important to you?
- Describe one musical friendship – who is your friend, what do you like about them, and how is music part of your friendship?
- Why do you want to be in the Patriot Violins?
Letter of Recommendation
(Letter can be emailed by your teacher directly to Claire Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Please briefly describe the applicant’s strengths and weaknesses as a musician, their practice habits, and what you feel they would contribute to the group.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding withdrawals, refunds and more for fall or spring group classes.
- All students or parents will receive a welcome email at least 1 week before the class starts. Call the Academy with questions at 703-993-9889.
- Parking is free at the Academy, but you must display a dashboard parking pass (available at the office).
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Chamber Music Ensemble
Middle and High School Students
Thursdays, 7 pm | 8 pm
Oct. 3–Dec. 12, 2019
Feb. 27–May. 28, 2020
Fridays, 5:30 pm
Sept. 13–Dec. 6, 2019
Jan. 10–May 29, 2020