Mason ITS Support Center: 703-993-8870
*please have meeting ID and password readily available for assistance
Online Classroom Etiquette
- Display your name so that we can recognize you. Instructions on how to change your profile name HERE.
- Enter the room with your microphone off (muted).
- Turn off your virtual backgrounds.
- Listen carefully for directions on when to mute or unmute your microphone.
- Do not unmute your microphone unless you are instructed to or called on by the teacher.
- Raise your hand in your video window if you have a question and wait to be called on before unmuting your microphone.
- When a teacher is giving a lesson, be sure you are in Speaker View. (See below for instructions on how to switch to Speaker View.)
- If you unmute your microphone without permission, the instructor or teaching assistant will mute you until there is a better time to ask your question.
- If you are willfully not following directions or being disruptive, you will be moved to the Zoom Waiting Room or dismissed from class.
- System requirements
- Joining a meeting
- Change your profile name
- Attendee controls in a meeting
- Share your screen (if enabled)
- Enable original sound
- Enable noise suppression (Desktop only, not supported for mobile devices)
- Switch to speaker view
- For Mac or PC, move your mouse to the upper right corner of the Zoom window and the link to enter “Speaker View” will appear.
- For smartphone, swipe to the left to get from Gallery View to Speaker View.
- For tablet, tap the screen and the “Switch to Active Speaker” button will appear in the upper left corner of the screen.
Best Connectivity Tips
- The device needs to be as close to the router as possible, preferably connected through ethernet cable.
- All other programs on the device need to be closed so that the video chat is the only program running.
- Minimize bandwidth use in the home – if the student is in a Zoom class, their sibling is streaming a show, if anything is uploading to the internet, and the parent is also on a web call, this will all reduce the video quality.
Desktop/Web Browser View
Smart Phone View