This one week workshop for beginner guitar students will cover the basics of guitar playing and prepare the student for individual lessons or a school guitar program. Guided by Mason Community Arts Academy Teaching Artists, students will learn guitar notation forms, how to play melodies, and strum chords. An acoustic guitar (nylon strings recommended) is required.
Tuition includes lesson book and class materials. Students must bring their own acoustic guitar (nylon strings recommended).
Dates: June 26 – June 30, 2023
1:00 – 4:00 pm
Location: Mason Community Arts Academy Building in Fairfax, VA
Instructor & Academy Teaching Artist
For Brian Slaymaker the love of music came naturally. As a child of two professional musicians, he was exposed to music of all styles and genres. Mr. Slaymaker studied piano with his mother, but his passion soon became guitar.
At the age of 11, Brian began studying guitar privately. His teachers were Jeff Ponder and Dr. Kevin Vigil. After extensive involvement performing in rock bands, Mr. Slaymaker chose to pursue an education in classical music. He holds a Bachelor of Music Degree magna cum laude in Classical Guitar Performance from George Mason University. Mr. Slaymaker has performed in masterclasses with internationally known guitarists Pepe Romero, Carlos Barbosa-lima, Carlos Perez, and Roland Dyens. At GMU, Mr. Slaymakern was a student of Professor Larry Snitzler. In addition to teaching Mr. Slaymaker is an active performer in the Washington, D.C. Metro area.
Mr. Slaymaker’s teaching range includes classical guitar, bass guitar, electric guitar, and steel-string guitar. His lessons consist of fundamentals of technique, music reading skills, music theory, and study of repertoire. Selections may be either those Mr. Slaymaker introduces or student requests. This strong foundation in fundamentals will enable the student to excel in any style their musical interests may lead. Individual creativity is always encouraged.
- Please note that group classes are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not reached.
- Be sure to check our policies and procedures regarding registration, withdrawals, refunds, and more for summer group classes.
- All students will receive a Welcome Letter via email at least 1 week before the class starts with all necessary details.
- Online registration closes 2 business days before the first class, however space may still be available. Please contact email@example.com for more information. A $10 late registration fee may apply.
- For additional information, please contact the Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.